Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Experiencing Your Saved Pennies



I had an idea the other day for saving as I'm apt to do. I received a renewal notice for a magazine I enjoy. I was just about to check the "Bill Me Later" box and mail the postcard. Then I realized while I like the magazine I usually give it a quick once over and never look at it again. Is that glance worth $20? Can I get that info somewhere else? Is the print business dying? Yes. Yes. Yes (my sympathies).


I felt good about not spending the $20 in the moment, but it felt a little empty. Yes, $20 was going to stay in my account, but I was looking for the feeling you get when you physically put Jackson back into your wallet. How can I get more satisfaction from my restraint? My solution – an online auto-transfer from my checking to savings account.

Seeing that money going into my savings gave me that feeling. So a few days later when I saw doggie sweaters on sale at Target for $6 a piece, I thought about the feeling of that transferred $20. The thought of dropping another $12 into my savings outweighed the want for the unneeded sweaters. 

Tricks like this that make it easier for me to stay on the right track. Are there impulse buys you could pass by if you applied this idea? 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing such great information.
    It has help me in finding out more detail about personal health insurance

    ReplyDelete